How our eco-stores are more efficient
By introducing technologically innovative systems, we have reduced energy and water consumption in our eco-stores without affecting the experience of our customers:
- automatic motion sensors in low-use areas dim lighting by 80% when no one is present
- using the most sophisticated climate control systems available, zoned thermostats prevent peaks in use and are automatically adjusted according to occupancy and sunlight, typically making savings of around 40% more than standard systems
- centralised monitoring and control of electricity use allows the optimisation and reduction of energy consumption
- automatic electronic air curtains at store entrances regulate temperature stability, with energy savings of up to 15%
- speed-controlled escalators slow down when not in use to save energy
- LED lighting lasts four times longer on average than ordinary incandescent lighting
- lighting programmes dim lighting depending on tasks and time; for example, 66% of lighting is switched off during cleaning and deliveries, and focused on the cash desks for end-of-day operations
- store-by-store analysis of climate, location and ambient light determines the most efficient levels of shop-window backlighting
- controlling water flow rates and pressure in bathroom facilities and installing grey water recovery systems reduces water consumption
We also prioritise the use of recycled or reused materials, locally sourced materials and low-energy materials. For example, all the wood used in our eco-stores is certified to come from sustainably and responsibly managed forests. Even the location of our stores is important, and the way a store will interact with its surroundings is closely assessed by our architecture and environmental management teams.
Having invested in creating an eco-store, we want to make sure that it is run at optimal efficiency. All store personnel receive specialed training on the most effective use of eco-stores features and capabilities, and on broader environmental sustainability issues too.
100% of the energy consumed in our online stores is from renewable sources.