To reach this goal, we maintain relationships with the local tax authorities, based on principles of good faith, collaboration and mutual trust. We try to avoid tax disputes by applying preferential interpretation criteria on the tax regulations set by the authorities or courts of law.
Furthermore, we are part of part of Foro de Grandes Empresas (“Large Companies Forum”) in Spain, whose primary objective is to promote greater collaboration among large companies and the state tax administration. We comply with the Code of Good Tax Practices promoted in the Forum, and have followed its recommendations, proposals and subsequent developments.
Our transparency is shown in a triple tax report, in which we explain the taxes generated in each geographical area, throughout the value chain and for the different types of taxes.
Our contribution by the different types of taxes
During 2017, our activities in the 96 markets in which we operate generated total taxes of 5,959 million Euros in direct and collected taxes.
|Direct taxes ||Collected taxes |
|Profit taxes ||985,191,298 ||121,399,992 |
|Properties taxes ||114,445,106 ||13,992,397 |
|People taxes ||742,796,747 ||664,097,577 |
|Product taxes and services ||862,087,798 ||2.447,011,659 |
|Planet taxes ||7,445,378 ||298,675 |
|Total ||2,711,976,327 ||3,246,800,300 |
|Total tax contribution ||5,958,776,628 |
For the purpose of homogenising this information, we have used PwC's Total Tax Contribution method, which divide Group taxes into five major categories, including taxes on profits, properties, people taxes, on products and services and planet taxes.
- Profit taxes: taxes incurred for the profits obtained by the company, such as corporate income tax, tax on economic activities and certain taxes collected as withholdings on payments to third parties.
- Property taxes: taxes on ownership, sales, transfer or the occupancy of property.
- People taxes: taxes associated with employment both incurred and collected, including income tax withholdings of employees or social security payments by both the employee and the company.
- Product taxes and services: indirect Product taxes on the production and consumption of goods and services, including VAT, custom duties, etc.
- Planet taxes: taxes on the supply, use or consumption of products and services considered to impact the environment.
Our contribution by geographical area
At Inditex we pay taxes on the profits generated in the territories where each activity is carried out. In Spain, accounting for 16.3% of our global sales and including main activities associated with the products, we generate 1,010 million euros of direct tax contribution, 37% of the global total. Regarding the corporate income tax, the global effective tax rate was 22.5%.